me, myself & andrei

02 Sep 2009

*“‘Get it as fast as possible after your arrival”’

Personnumer, or personal/civic/social security number, is something that all students studying for more than 1 year should get.
You do that at [ Skatteverket] (Tax Office), by filling in a form and showing your passport with visa or your EU ID card, along with your KTH admission letter. I suggest that you go to the office located at Klara Vattugränd 1, in front of the Central Station, or near Klara Kyrka (church).

It will take a few days before you get your personnummer if you are outside the EU.
EU citizens will also need to register online at [ Migrationsverket] (Migration Office) and fill in an electronic form for your right to reside (EU citizens do not need a residence permit).

Once you get your personnummer (documents will be sent to you by snail mail), you need to send an email to [] with your full name and your personnummer.
If you do not do that, you will be seen as a temporary student (with a temporary KTH-number instead), and that will give birth to issues that you want to avoid.

==KTH Blue Folder==
*“‘Get it before or on registration day”’

One of the first things that you will do is to go to the Helpdesk, in the entrance hall of the Forum building of the Kista Campus, or to the International Office, at the main Valhallavägen Campus. There you can get a welcome package that includes the so-called Blue Folder, a Tele2 prepaid SIM card and others.

Otherwise, you will get the Blue Folder during the induction week organized by KTH in Kista, or at the latest on the registration day, when you will meet with your programme coordinator.

This Blue Folder will give you the very first information regarding your stay at KTH (see [[KTH.ICT_SU.DSV_Pre-reading]]), your registration at Skatteverket (Tax Office), bank options, etc.

I would advise you to take care of your practicalities outside KTH (SIM phone card, Skatteverket, bank, etc.) before school starts, since you will have your hands full afterwards.

==KTH Account==
* “‘Get it before or right after registration day”’

All premises of KTH and SU have security doors. During certain hours some of them may be disabled in order to let people access public areas. That is why this account comes with an Access Card.

In order to get this account&card, you will need to show up at the Helpdesk (entrance of the Forum building, near the library). Nearby there’s a a photo-booth. Wait in the queue to take a digital photo of yourself that will be associated with your name and birthday automatically. You then wait in the queue at the Helpdesk to pick up your KTH Access Card. You will need your acceptance letter and a valid ID (passport or EU ID card). Read all at .

Whenever you are on campus you’ll be required to have the Access Card on you. I’d advise you to have it visible after regular hours.

The Access Card (or Passage Card) will give you access to computer rooms and classrooms, and you’re advised to pay attention to the people you might let in along with you. And, obviously, please remember your PIN code (which cannot be changed), or else.. it’s your loss.

Your account will get you a (which is an alias for and E-mail address. I personally have chosen to use this one as the main E-mail address, but you can choose from [[#DSV Account two other domains]]. You will also get a web space ([ read more]).

In short:
*“‘KTH Username & password”’ = needed for services ([ My pages], [ Webmail], [ UserDB], etc) and DSV services that work with KTH accounts (KTH Terminal Access in the Valhallavägen Main Campus, [ Daisy], etc)
**If you want to change your password, you must do so on [ My pages]
*“‘PIN code”’ = needed to unlock security doors (sometimes only after regular hours)
**If you forget your PIN code, you can check it at - log in with your KTH account and click on Personal on the left menu.
*“‘KTH-ID”’ = it can be used anywhere on services as a replacement for your username; it is needed occasionally for some web services; it is printed on your Access Card
*If you have problems contact the [ KTH ICT-ITService]
*


==Welcome to DSV==

This a document that was written to aid your stay at the KTH+SU Kista Campus. It is meant to take you through most of the vital information regarding the practicalities of using the campus facilities.

[ Version HT2009 is available for download].

==DSV Account==

  • “‘Get it on the registration day”’

DSV uses a proprietary management software for courses, students and personnel called “‘Daisy”’.
It was coded as a masters thesis a few years ago, and it was improved little by little since then.

“‘FirstClass”’ is an open-source groupware software that aids Daisy by letting people to communicate and share resources. Plenty of course leaders will use this software to distribute course materials. Other course leaders will be using [[#VLE Account Moodle]].

These credientials should be handed to you by your programme coordinator on the registration day.

Your account will get you a and E-mail addresses. I personally have chosen to use the [[#KTH_Account KTH Account]]’s E-mail address as the primary one and I’m forwarding these accounts there. You will also get a web space ([ read more]).

In short:
*“‘DSV Username & password”’ = allows you to have DSV Terminal Access (Windows, Linux), login to Daisy & FirstClass
If you want to change your password
For Linux, Daisy, network and email:
*For Windows: press ctrl-alt-del after you Login
For FirstClass: under Connection, click Change Password
*“‘Daisy”’ = allows you to see your courses, timetable, groups, classmates, book grouprooms, etc
**Login at
*“‘FirstClass”’ = allows you to receive announcements, share course resources, send messages, forum etc.
**Login at or use a [ Desktop Client] (recommended)
*If you have problems contact the [ DMC Helpdesk]


==VLE Account==

  • “‘Create it any time or when requested”’

VLE or Virtual Learning Environment runs on [ Moodle], a Course Management System.

This account doesn’t require any registration of any type.
You just go to and register a new account.

This account is not mandatory. You will need to create this account only when one of the course leaders will tell you so, but getting this account at the same time with your [[#DSV Account DSV Account]] makes sense.

In short:
*Login at
*Allows you to share course resources, send messages, etc.

==Student Union Card==

  • “‘Get it when you get the invoice in your (~10 working days after the registration day)”’

THS (Tekniska Högskolan Studentkår) or the KTH Student Union will need to register you and give you a card.

Without that card, you cannot
*sit exams at KTH
*get discounts with [ SL (Stockholm Public Transport)] or [ SJ (Swedish Railway)] and even [ SAS (Scandinavian Airlines)]
*get other discounts

You will need to go in person to Nymble (the Student Union building located in the Valhallavägen Main Campus) and pay a fee in cash.
It will take a few weeks before you get the student card in your snail mail postbox. Before that happens, you can ask for a temporary SL card which will entitle you to get the student SL card (running for the whole semester, starting in August or September).

Please wait for the invoice to arrive in your mailbox ([ KTH Webmail]) before you go to Nymble. If after 10 working days you didn’t receive anything, just go. You can try your luck even before but you might end up in long queues and come back empty handed because you do not show up as registered (yet).

You might actually get two student cards because beyond the regular [ Studentkortet] discounts, you are entitled to [ Mecenat] student discounts as well.
They will arrive in separate envelopes, and they might not get to you on the same day.


==Library Card==

  • “‘Get it any time or when you want to borrow a book.”’

You can get your library card from the library in Kista, or from the library in the Valhallavägen Main Campus.
You will need to show your acceptance letter and an ID (passport or EU ID card).

Loan times can vary depending on the book.

You should very well know that an account with KTH Library also gives you access to world renowned libraries like IEEE. Once you you get your library, search KTHB catalogues or use SAMSÖK for all types of materials - .

You can also register and get a card at state libraries - [ the one in Kista], or [ Statdsbiblioteket] (which will give you access to the [ International Library] too).

[[Category:KTH]] [[]] [[Category:Projects]]